WWO is an organization that is operated by numerous volunteers from the executive board to the trip leaders. While all volunteers support the organization, trip leaders are the backbone of WWO. They permit the numerous diverse trips that WWO provides its members. All of these
leaders are very special people because they give not only their time and energy, but also their love and spirit. In order to continue to provide the number and types of trips WWO offers, it is extremely important to maintain a large pool of trip leaders.
HOW DO I BECOME A TRIP LEADER FOR WASHINGTON WOMEN OUTDOORS?
We have two types of WWO trips: In-House Trip Leaders and Outfitter Trip Leaders. In-House Trip Leaders are responsible for the entirety of an In-House trip, including planning, scouting, teaching appropriate skills, completing necessary paperwork, and leading the trip. Outfitter Trip Leaders serve as WWO liaisons between the Outfitter and the trip participants. An Outfitter Trip Leader ensures that appropriate WWO paperwork has been completed and provides feedback on the trip instruction to the Program Chair.
To be an In-House Trip Leader:
- Attend at least one WWO trip.
- Be approved by appropriate Program Chair to be a Leader-in-Training.
- Participate as a Leader-in-Training on at least two trips and be able to participate in these trips at the trip level.
- Complete First Aid and CPR certification.
- Receive approval by appropriate Program Chair to be an Assistant Leader.
- Assist on at least two WWO trips and be able to participate on these trips at the trip level.
- Complete WWO Leadership Training at least once every 3 years.
- Be approved by appropriate Program Chair to be a Leader.
- Be able to participate in all trips at the trip level that you lead.
To be an Outfitter Trip Leader:
- Attend at least one Outfitted WWO trip.
- Be able to participate on trips in which you are a Leader at the trip level.
- Be approved by appropriate Program Chair.
- It is highly recommended that you complete First Aid, CPR, and WWO Leadership
- Training certification.
- Access to Leadership Training Funds. WWO wants to encourage leaders to expand their knowledge and skills, so $100 per year is granted to be used toward outside training. You are expected to lead or assist on two or three trips, depending upon the amount of reimbursement, within a year of completing this training. For up to $50 in reimbursement, you are expected to lead two trips; three trips or more to receive up to $100 tuition reimbursement.
- "Free Trips"! When you lead or assist, you do not pay for the trip. This doesn't really translate into "free" because of all your labor, but it is still a benefit of leadership. On Outfitted trips, Leaders pay a discounted leader fee that covers the expense of the outfitter plus other direct trip expenses. This is our way of encouraging women to enter the Leadership Program and gain the experience they need at minimal cost.
- Develop Skills. Develop confidence and competence in outdoor skills, plus develop skills that will prove useful in all aspects of your life. Leadership is essential on the job, and anywhere you need to deal with people.
- Make friends. Make friends and find people to share adventures with outside of WWO.
RECEIVING FIRST AID AND CPR TRAINING
Women interested in receiving First Aid and CPR training can contact either the American Red Cross or the American Heart Association. The cost of the courses are reimburseable after you have led or assisted on three WWO events. As often as possible, Washington Women Outdoors facilitates a First Aid and CPR training certification course free-of-charge just for Leaders and Leaders-in-training.
WASHINGTON WOMEN OUTDOORS LEADERSHIP TRAINING
As often as needed, a WWO Leadership Training course is held free-of-charge for Leaders and Leaders in Training. This course covers all aspects of being a Leader for Washington Women Outdoors, from planning and preparing a trip, conducting the trip, to follow-up afterwards.